Sketch of Fiera di Primiero landscape by a local artist, Max Gaudenzi.
The seventeenth session of the series "Selected Topics in Nuclear and Atomic Physics" will take place from September the 30th to October the 4th, 2019. Since 1999 we have moved the site of the meeting from Varenna, its traditional site, to Fiera di Primiero, a small town in the Italian Dolomites. Thanks to the hospitality of the local authorities the meeting will be held at the Palazzo delle Miniere, an ancient medieval palace dating from the XV century.
On the left, Pale di San Martino mirrored on Calaita lake (courtesy of S.Lunardi); on the right, Palazzo delle Miniere and the church "Santa Maria Assunta" behind it.
Along the tradition of the previous meetings, the skeleton of the program will be formed by a series of lectures on different subjects of general interest. For this year, the lecturers and the corresponding topics are:
- M. Cavallaro and F. Cappuzzello: Search for nuclear response to isospin probes and their connection to double-beta decay
- F. Gulminelli: Compact objects in the universe: the role of nuclear physics
- D. Lacroix: Tackling the nuclear many-body problem with mean-field theory: nuclear structure and nuclear reactions
- V. Latora: The new science of networks
- T. Otsuka: Shell evolution, shape coexistence and quantum self-organization in atomic nuclei (title to be confirmed)
The regular lectures will be supplement, as in the previous occasions, by seminars of general interest. A public lecture will be given by G.Peruzzi from the Dep. of Physics and Astronomy, University of Padova.
The meeting is organized under the auspices of the Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Padova and the INFN-Sezione di Padova. The initiative is supported by Dept. of Physics and Astronomy.
We are grateful to the comune of Primiero San Martino di Castrozza and Biblioteca Intercomunale di Primiero for their help in the organization of this meeting.