The 10th European Summer School
on Experimental Nuclear Astrophysics
16-23 June 2019
We have the pleasure to announce the “10th European Summer School on Experimental Nuclear Astrophysics (Santa Tecla School)”, devoted to the education of young Ph.D. students and young researchers. The school belongs to the European Network of Nuclear Astrophysics Schools (ENNAS), a network made by the European schools on nuclear astrophysics and related areas (the Santa Tecla, the Sinaia, the Russbach schools), having the common effort of preparing and educating young scientists in nuclear physics, astrophysics and related fields.
The school will deal with astrophysical issues, ranging from primordial nucleosynthesis to stellar evolution, and nuclear topics, including novel experimental approaches, radioactive ion beams, indirect methods, and plasma physics (in stars and in the laboratory).
The lectures of the school will be given by world-renowned scientists, selected for their didactic skills. In the spirit of the school, large room will be given to young researchers oral contributions. Specific sessions will be allocated to allow them to present their latest scientific results.
The European Network of Nuclear Astrophysics Schools (ENNAS) is a project that aims at correlating the topics of the four European schools, at coordinating their activities to better serve the community of science and students, and at producing common efforts for obtaining funds for these schools, from national and international agencies (i.e. EPS, EC…).
· SCHOOL WEBPAGE AND CONTACT
Updated information about the school, the transportation and the final program are given at the following:
The school will be held in Catania, at the Laboratori Nazionali del Sud (www.lns.infn.it) via Santa Sofia, 62, 95123 Catania, ITALY.
The school will be held from Sunday, 16th June, to Sunday 23th June. The seven school days include one day for arrivals (16.06.19) and one day for departures (23.06.19). During the whole period of the school, morning and afternoon lecture sessions will be given.
The first day of lecture is Monday, 17th at 08:45, as scheduled in the program available at the school website.
The school is internationally renowned as a cornerstone for young-scientist formation in the field of nuclear astrophysics as well as a “melting-pot” for the discussion of the up-to-date research activities. The previous editions of the school took place in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Traditionally, particular attention is devoted to the participation of young students of less-favoured countries.
- MAIN TOPICS
Hydrostatic and Explosive Nucleosynthesis
Plasmas in stars and the laboratory
Detectors and Facilities for Nuclear Astrophysics
Experiments with rare and radioactive isotopes
Indirect Methods for Nuclear Astrophysics
- LIST OF CONFIRMED SPEAKERS
C. Bertulani, A. Bonasera, M. Busso, A. Chieffi, A. Coc, F. Consoli, N. De Sereville, S. Degl’Innocenti, M. Della Valle, M. El Eid, B. Fields, S. Kubono, M. Famiano, Z. Fulop, M. Gai, L. Gialanella, F. Hammache, S. Harissopulos, T. Kajino, K.L. Kratz, M. La Cognata, M. Limongi, M. Lipoglavsek, D. Mascali, M. Mazzocco, A. Mengoni, J. Mrazek, N. Nishimura, P. Prati, N. Soic, L. Trache, S. Tudisco, I. Vidana, R. Yarmukhamedov.
- CONTRIBUTIONS BY YOUNG RESEARCHERS
A number of oral contributions from young researchers has been selected by the SOC. The program of the “Young Researchers Session” is already available at the school website.
- CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
The conference proceedings for both senior lectures and young researchers talks will be published on a peer-review, fully indexed journal.
- Accomodation & PAYMENTS
We ask for a registration fee of 300 € (which will cover coffee breaks, lunches, social activities, social dinner, welcome cocktail and proceedings). Fee for accompanying persons it amounts to 100 €. Please refer to the school website for details about hotel and fee payment. A dedicated secretary desk will be available for the whole period of the school.
The venue of the School is the Laboratori Nazionali del Sud, directly located in Catania. Rooms were booked at a special rate by the school secretary in hotels downtown.
A large number of restaurants is present in downtown Catania within walking distances from the selected hotels.
HOW TO REACH THE CITY CENTRE FROM THE AIRPORT:
- BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTS: Outside the "Fontanarossa" airport (arrival level) about 30 meters on the right side (see this map) you will find an AMT (the public transportation company of Catania) bus stop. The AMT line ALIBUS runs every 20 minutes, from 5.30 am to midnight, from the Airport to the City Centre and the Central Station. It has several bus stops near the recommended hotels (see the map on the school website). Here are the ALIBUS route map and timetable. You can buy the ALIBUS ticket (4€) at the kiosk located inside the terminal or just outside the arrival terminal, near the bus stop. Additionally, you can buy the ticket on the bus. Remember to validate your ticket at the automatic counter inside the bus once you get in.
- BY TAXI: Taxis are available at any time outside the arrival terminal of the airport. Here you can find official fares. The cost should range from € 25 to € 35 according to the place to reach. Taxis are also available outside the Central Train Station. A possibility is to use the Radio-taxi company service (tel. +39-095-330966 English speaking operator). Contacts and info for reservation can be found in the website. In order to get a Radio Taxi at the airport you have to phone, and you will be told the name of the cab which will pick you up (It usually arrives within 10 minutes). Pay attention: Radio-Taxi pick you up outside the airport at the departure level (first floor) not on the arrival level (ground floor) where you only find taxi of other companies.
- BY CAR: It is not complicated to reach the city center coming from the airport. However, in this case we suggest you to use a good map or a GPS navigation system. Moreover, it could be difficult to find a parking spot. If you are planning to come by car we suggest you to ask in advance if a parking service is available at your hotel.
HOW TO REACH THE INFN-LNS GUESTHOUSE FROM THE CITY CENTRE USING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
You can reach the INFN-GUESTHOUSE following the instruction given in the official website (click here). We strongly recommend to use the BRT bus to reach the guesthouse from Piazza Stesicoro, getting off at the "Cittadella Ovest" bus stop, just 30 meters after campus and LNS entrance. The BRT ticket can be bought at the kiosk located in Piazza Stesicoro (1€).
DAILY CONNECTION FROM PIAZZA STESICORO TO LNS AND VICE VERSA
Monday 17th: Only for the first day of the school (i.e. 17/06/2019) bus will pick up conference delegates in “Piazza Stesicoro” at 08:00 sharp and drive back delegates at the end of the Welcome Cocktail at the conference venue.
Tuesday 18th-Saturday 22nd Buses will pick up conference delegates in “Piazza Stesicoro” at 08:30 every day, and drive back delegates at the end of the afternoon session.
- SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
social activities will be organized during the school.
- The Welcome Cocktail will be served on Monday 17th evening on the LNS terrace.
- The social excursion will be held on Wednesday 19th afternoon. You can choose either “CATANIA ARCHEOLOGICAL UNDERGROUND” trip or a “RELAX AFTERNOON AT THE BEACH”. Communicate your choice at the registration desk. Details will be given during the conference.
- The social dinner will take place on Friday 21st evening at the Yachting Club Catania.
- HOSTING INSTITUTIONS AND SPONSORS
The school is supported by INFN-LNS, Dipartimento di Fisica e Astronomia “E. Majorana” (Università di Catania), ENSAR2-Nusprasen and Centro Siciliano di Fisica Nucleare e Struttura della Materia. The school is sponsored by Distillerie Russo (Santa Venerina, CT).
- SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
C. Spitaleri (Director, Catania), C. Rolfs (Bochum), M. Aliotta (Edinburgh), M. Busso (Perugia), A. Coc (Orsay), M. El Eid (Beirut), T. Kajino (Tokyo), K.L. Kratz (Mainz), S. Kubono (Tokyo), K. Langanke (Darmstadt), J. Josè (Barcelona), T. Motobayashi (Tokyo), A.M. Mukhamedzhanov (TAMU), E. Nappi (Bari), O. Straniero (Teramo), G. Rogachev (TAMU), L. Trache (Bucarest), R.E. Tribble (BNL & TAMU), Wei Liping (CIAE), M. Wiescher (South Bend).
- LOCAL COMMITTEE
R.G. Pizzone (chair), L. Lamia (scientific secretary), G. Agnello, G.L. Guardo, M. La Cognata, P. Litrico, S. Palmerini, V. Potenza, S. Romano, R. Spartà.