The closest airport to Ferrara is Aeroporto Marconi in Bologna (BLQ). From the airport, it is possible to reach Ferrara in two ways:
- By bus (suggested): the Bus&Fly shuttle service grants an easy connection between Bologna's airport and the center of Ferrara, with which is possible to reach Ferrara in little less than one hour. The service runs from 4:20 AM to 01:45 PM. Tickets can be purchased on board for these rides. For later rides, reservations must be made online at least 48 hours in advance.
- By train: the Marconi Express services grant a quick transport service from the airport to Bologna's train station. From Bologna's train station, it is possible to take a train to Ferrara, then, from Ferrara's train station, you can take a public bus or a taxi to reach the city center (see section "Public transport in Ferrara").
Ferrara is well-connected by trains. You can buy tickets from Trenitalia and check the timetables on their official website.
Ferrara is connected to the highway system by the highway A13, with two highway exits: Ferrara Nord and Ferrara Sud. Different parking lots are available in the center of the city.
- Borgoricco: covered parking lot, 2 minutes by foot minutes from the city center
- Piazza Sacrati: 2 minutes by foot from the city center
- Parcheggio Centro Storico (Piazzale Kennedy): 5 minute by foot from the city centre
- Parcheggio Diamanti: covered parking lot, 10 minutes by foot from the city center
- Parcheggio Ex Mof: 20 minutes by foot from the city center.
Public transport in Ferrara
Ferrara is very walkable and bikes are probably the best vehicles to easilly travel inside the city, however public buses are available from 6:00 AM to about 9:00 PM. Public transport in Ferrara is handled by the TPER company.
Some useful bus routes that can help you travel inside the city are the routes number 1, number 6 and number 9, connecting the bus station (bus stop: "Stazione FS") to the centre of Ferrara (bus stop: "Giovecca Teatini").
You can buy public transport tickets at the TPER stand in Ferrara's train station, from TPER ticket sellers around town or directly on board the buses (both cash and credit card are accepted).