SalernoSalerno is a city in the southern Italy, about 50 km from the more famous city of Naples. It is a lovely city, with nice parks, seafront walks and historic places. The first human settlement is dated around VI century B.C., placed near the Irno river. However, only during Roman age the city reached the highest expansion. The harbour of Salerno was one of the most important of the empire, both under commercial and military point of view. During the Medieval age Salerno was a multicultural centre because of its position between the west empire and the Byzantine east with Muslim empire. Then the city grew up under the influence of Naples.
Nowadays, Salerno remembers its historical glories by means of churches, buildings, parks, hidden corners and, not least, food traditions.
If you are visiting Salerno you cannot miss:
- The Arechi Castle. The Arechi Castle is a medieval castle, situated at a height of about 300 meters above sea level, overlooking the city and the Gulf of Salerno.
- Verdi Theatre. The construction of the Teatro Municipale Giuseppe Verdi was approved by the City Council of Salerno on December 15, 1863 on a proposal of the then Mayor Matteo Luciani. The design and direction of the works were assigned to the architects Antonio D'Amora and Giuseppe Manichini that they based their theory on measurements and proportions of the Teatro San Carlo in Naples. The works of decoration were instead directed by Gaetano D'Agostino. The theater was inaugurated on April 15, 1872 with the performance of Rigoletto; March 27, 1901 the theater was named after Giuseppe Verdi, who died January 1st of that year.
- Barone Palace. The palace Barone (also called "Villa Barone") is a palace of Salerno, located on the harbor. It was built in the twenties of the twentieth century and was started in February 1927 by engineer Mario Siniscalchi on behalf of the knight Antonio Barone and completed in 1928 in the Romanesque Revival Southern style, designed by Salernitan architect Matteo D'Agostino.
- The Amalfi Coast. The most famous coast of the world with its unique views and sea places like Amalfi, Ravello, Maiori, Atrani.
- Christmas Light “Luci d’Artista”. The event Luci d'Artista is more than a common lights exhibition. The whole city is dressed by light making walking around the city an ecstatic experience.
Other information are available on tourist websites: